Social Media Addiction: It's Not Your Fault

 


Social media addiction is a real thing in my life.   Admittedly, I spend way too much time online.  Disqus has taken on a life of its own, with having my own blog, moderating on 5,  and just general commenting.   I look back at my pre-Disqus days and think of all of the ways that I better spent my time.  And not that social media has been an altogether pleasant experience.  I have had to deal with disgusting, relentless trolls, and I have lost a Disqus friendship or two.   But overall it is enjoyable and a way to express myself in writing, and I like to think that I bring something to people on my blog, and simply by communicating with others.

Can I quit today?  Sure, but I will suffer with withdrawal, as with any other addiction.  Why?  The neurochemical Dopamine, the pleasure hormone.  Let's take a look:




Although not as intense as hit of cocaine, positive social stimuli will similarly 
result in a release of dopamine, reinforcing whatever behavior preceded it. Cognitive neuroscientists have shown that rewarding social stimuli—laughing faces, positive recognition by our peers, messages from loved ones—activate the same dopaminergic reward pathways. Smartphones have provided us with a virtually unlimited supply of social stimuli, both positive and negative. Every notification, whether it’s a text message, a “like” on Instagram, or a Facebook notification, has the potential to be a positive social stimulus and dopamine influx   //https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2018/dopamine-smartphones-battle-time/


Quitting:

While the effects of quitting social media are generally positive in the long run, your immediate reaction may be one of stress and anxiety. These feelings are caused by a neurobiological withdrawal from the sense of being constantly connected. “If you’re using social media addictively, which some people are, you have elevated levels of dopamine, so when you stop doing that, there is some withdrawal,” says David Greenfield, PhD, assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine and founder of the Center for Internet and Technology Addiction. Luckily, these feelings usually do not persist beyond the first few days of quitting social media, so you should be able to enjoy the positive effects soon enough  //https://www.thehealthy.com/mental-health/quit-social-media/#:~:text=While%20the%20effects%20of%20quitting%20social%20media%20are,withdrawal%20from%20the%20sense%20of%20being%20constantly%20connected.



So, what about you?  Have you thought of pulling the plug on social media?  What are your experiences? 

Popular posts from this blog

EXCLUSIVE! WOLF JACKAL INTERVIEWS PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE JOSEPH BIDEN!

Some Infamous Guns of History